Karni Mata Temple also popularly known as the Rat Temple of India. This mysterious temple is located Deshnoke in Rajasthan (About 30 KM from Bikaner) and is dedicated to Goddess Karni , who is believed to be an incarnation of Goddess Durga, draws devotees from all around the globe.
The reason why this temple is referred as Rat Temple is due to the fact that this temple houses 25,000 rats who are known as Kaabas here and are considered really auspicious.
Many centuries back, immortal durga reincarnated as Karni Devi to devout folks and grew up to perform miraculous deeds for the welfare of the society and God devotees.
Once, a member of a storyteller family suffered a premature death, Karni Mata asked Yama, the ruling divinity of Death, to revive the lifetime of the decreased. Once Yama refused to follow for a few reason, Karni Mata given a boon that every one male storytellers, the members of the Charan caste, shall take Confederate soldier.
The present structure of the temple was designed by maharajah Ganga Singh of Bikaner and dates back to the fifteenth century. the complete structure is influenced by the Mughal form of design. The beautiful facade of the Karni Mata Temple is constructed entirely in marble.
ALSO READ: ABOUT MAA CHINTPURNI TEMPLE
Pairs of silver doors is seen within the temple advanced before the main shrine of the goddess. These solid silvers doors were donated by maharajah Gaj Singh once he had visited the wonderful temple. Across the entrance, one will spot a lot of silver doors with panels that depict the varied legends of the goddess.
The image of the divinity is placed within the main shrine, along side holy things at her feet. encircled by rats, the 75-centimetre tall image holds a Trishul (trident) in one amongst her hands.
Her image is complete with a crown and a garland of flowers. pictures of her sisters are placed on either aspect.
- Religious Affiliation: Hindu
- Deity: Durga
- Location: NH 89, Deshnok, Rajasthan 334801
- Entry Fees: Nil
- Temple Timings: 4 AM to 10 PM
- Festivals: Karni Mate Mela
- Best Time To Visit: October- December
- Photography: Allowed but if you have a professional camera then you will be charged
- Karni Mata Temple has a unique kind of Prasad which is actually food that has been nibbled by the rats such as milk and grains.
- Despite the fact that the prasad offered in this temple is tasted by rats first , there has been no case of a devotee falling ill which is quite surprising.
- According to the beliefs if a rat is killed by someone then one should replace it with a silver rat.
AlLSO READ: ABOUT BIR – BILLING
How To Reach?
The nearest airport is located at Jodhpur which is 220 km away from the temple.
The nearest railway station is located at Bikaner which is about 30 km away.
The temple is situated on NH- 89 which is well connected with state buses running at regular frequency.
Where To Stay?
Its advised to stay in Bikaner as good accommodation is not available near the temple.
Note: We don’t make any guarantees if the above-stated facts are not correct. If you think any information provided by us is wrong then contact us.