Ramappa Temple also known as the Rudreshwara temple is a hindu temple as well as an UNESCO World Heritage Site which is located in Palampet village in Mulug Taluk Telangana, India.
The temple complex was built by Racherla Rudra Reddy during the period of the Kakatiya ruler Ganapati Deva. It was built using sandstone and its construction, which began in 1213 CE, is believed to have continued for over four decades.
The temple got its name Ramappa because of its chief sculptor Ramappa. It’s probably the only temple in the country to be known by the name of its sculptor.
The medieval Deccan Ramappa Temple which dates back to 1213 AD, was built by the patronage of the Kakatiya ruler Kakati Ganapathi Deva under the authority of his Chief Commander Rudra Samani at the place known as Ranakude in the Atukuru province.
The Ramappa temple is the right destination for people who admire architectural brilliance and have a panoramic view of true scenic beauty.
Lord Shiva, who is in the form of Ramalingeshwara or Ramalingeswara, is the main deity of Ramappa Temple. There is also a Nandi Statue facing the main shrine.
The Ramappa temple has been referred as the brightest star in the network of medieval temples in the Deccan region. You can reach the temple via a royal garden, which is now reduced to a lawn with a path paved by trees.
Another striking feature of this temple is that it is built with bricks that are so light that they can easily float on water.
The temple which is situated in a valley took nearly 40 years to be completed. Elaborate carvings line the walls and also cover the pillars and ceilings of the temple.
The Ramappa temple finds its hold on a 6 feet high platform on a cruciform plan. The temple’s chamber is crowned with a shikharam and is surrounded by pradakshinapatha. At the entrance of the temple, we can find a Nandi mandapam. An imposing Nandi vigraham stands on it.
- Address: Palampet Village, Venkatapur Mandal, Warangal, Telangana, 506345, India
- District: Mulugu
- Deity: Ramalingeswara Swamy
- Architectural style: Vesara
- Timings : 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Time Required : 1-2 hrs
- Dress Code : Shirt, dhoti for men and saree for women.
- Photography: inside the sanctums is not allowed.
- Entry Fee: nil
- Best Time To Visit: November to Feburary
Interesting Facts About Ramappa Temple
1. The temple was constructed in 1213 AD during the Kakatiya Empire by Recharla Rudra, a general of Kakatiya king Ganapati Deva.
2. The presiding deity of the temple in RamalingeswaraSwamy.
3. The temple was named after Ramappa, the chief sculptor. According to the Telangana government’s website, this is probably the only temple in the country to be known by the name of its sculptor.
4. It is said that the temple is built with bricks that are so light that they can float on water. The bricks were believed to be made spongy using something like saw-dust.
5. It took nearly 40 years to complete the temple, according to the Telangana government’s website.
6. The temple stands on a 6-feet high star-shaped platform with walls, pillars and ceilings adorned with intricate carvings which are the hallmarks of the Kakatiya sculptors.
7. The carvings — mythical animals, female dancers — are considered as masterpieces of Kakatiya art.
8. European merchants and travelers were mesmerized by the beauty of the temple and one such traveler had remarked that the temple was the “brightest star in the galaxy of medieval temples of the Deccan”, the PIB release said.
9. At the entrance of the temple, there is Nandi vigraham.
10. It is claimed that the main structure of the temple survived a major earthquake during the 17th century.
How to Reach Ramappa Temple ?
The nearest airport is in Hyderabad 142 km from Warangal. You can take a taxi or bus to the temple.
The nearest railheads are at Warangal or Kazipet. From there you can take a taxi to the temple.
Ramappa temple is located at a distance of nearly 70 km from Warangal city and is accessible by road.
Also Read: ABOUT CHILKUR BALAJI TEMPLE
Where To Stay?
Haritha Lake View Resort Ramappa is the best option for quality accommodation with its well maintained interiors and rooms.
Average tariff: 900-1500 INR
If you like our work then please Donate to us so that we can keep posting content regularly.
Note: We don’t make any guarantees if the above-stated facts are not correct. If you think any information provided by us is wrong then contact us.