Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple, the foremost revered heritage site and religious retreat in state, furthermoreit’s the face of statetourism. The temple encompasses asplendid charm of its own that captivates each traveller who visits to expertise the splendor of this goddess pilgrim center. The presiding divinity of the temple is goddess Meenakshi [Parvathy] and her consort Lord Shiva idolised as Lord Sundareswarar.
ALSO READ : ABOUT SOMNATH TEMPLE
The exact date of the construction of Meenakshi Temple is not available but it is evident that it has been mentioned in ancient Indian puranic texts , it’s evident that it’s been mentioned in ancient Indian Sanskrit literature texts, that proves it to be most likely one or two of thousand years old. it was utterly ruined by the Islamic Ruler of the North, leader Kafur throughout the year 1310. it absolutely was only during the late fourteenth century once the Hindu kings came back to power, and improved the temple to its old glory. but this structure of the temple was designed throughout the period 1623- 1655 CE.
The temple structure includes of fourteen Gopurams [temple towers] of every ranging in height between 45m- 50m, that embrace two golden Shikaras higher than the most sanctum. Madurai Meenakshi Temple is world-renowned for these spectacular towers in and round the temple, which might be seen from an extended distance.
- Address: Madurai Main, Madurai, Tamil Nadu 625001
- Height: 52 m
- Architectural style: Dravidian architecture
- Photography: Not allowed inside the temple
- Dress Code: male devotees should wear dhotis or pajamas with upper cloth, or formal pants and shirts. Women should wear sarees or half saree with the blouse, churidars with an upper cloth. The children should wear any fully covered dress
- Deity worshipped: Goddess Meenakshi [Parvathy] and her consort Lord Shiva worshipped as Lord Sundareswarar.
- You will have to stand in long lines as there are many people who visit the temple. It is advised to keep atleast a buffer of 45-50 minutes in case you have other plans
|Thiruvanandal pooja||05:00 AM – 06:00 AM|
|Vizha pooja||06:30 AM – 07:15 AM|
|Kalasandhi pooja||06:30 AM – 07:15 AM|
|Thrikalasandhi pooja||10:30 AM – 11:15 AM|
|Uchikkala Pooja (Noon Pooja)||10:30 AM – 11:15 AM|
|Maalai pooja||04:30 PM – 05:15 PM|
|Ardhajama Pooja (Night Pooja)||07:30 PM – 08:15 PM|
|Palliarai pooja||09:30 PM – 10:00 PM|
CHECK ALSO: TOP 10 PLACES TO VISIT IN INDIA
How to Reach Meenakshi Amman Temple?
The Madurai airfield is eleven kms far from the temple. There ar tons of direct and connected flights connecting Madurai to any or all major cities in India. once getting down at the airport grab a taxi or for those that like transport could board in a very state Government transport bus to achieve the Madurai Meenakshi Temple.
The closest Rail head is Madurai Junction (2 km). Madurai Railway Station is connected by rail to all the major cities in India.
The interstate buses are offered. There are frequent buses from all the cities in South India that connects Madurai.
- Meenakshi Temple Is Abode Of The Triple-Breasted, Fish-Eyed Goddess Meenakshi Amman
- The Temple Has 15,000 Visitors A Day And Receives More Than 60 Million Rupees In Donations!
- The Temple Has An Estimated 33,000 Sculptures In The Temple
- The Temple Is Believed To Be 2500 Years-Old
- Meenakshi Temple Is The Largest Temple Complex In Tamil Nadu
Where To Stay?
The Temple has Three lodging facilities for pilgrims.
15, West Chithirai Street,
Opp. to West Tower,
Madurai 625 001.
Phone : +91 – 0452-2345503
2.Sundareswarar Illam (Lodge) ,
15,West Chithirai Street,
Opp. to West Tower,Madurai 625 001.
Phone : +91 – 0452-2345503
3. Bakthargal Thangum Viduthi,
Madurai 625 010.
Phone : +91 –0452-2609868
Note: We don’t make any guarantees if the above-stated facts are not correct. If you think any information provided by us is wrong then contact us.