Trimbakeshwar city is an ancient Hindu Pilgrim centre situated at the source of the Godavari stream. it’s one amongst the twelve Jyotirlingas dedicated to Lord Shiva. The extraordinary feature of the Jyotirlinga situated here is that the Linga within the temple is in the style of a 3 long-faced embodying Tridev, Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva
The present temple was constructed by third Peshwa Balaji Bajirao (1740-1760) on the site of an old temple. Sant Nivruttinath, elder brother of Sant Dnyaneshwar had taken Samadhi at Trimbakeshwar.
ALSO READ: ABOUT MAHAKALESHWAR UJJAIN TEMPLE
Sadhus of Shaiva sects baths at this temple. The Akhadas of all sadhus are in Trimbakeshwar. The Shashisnan(most sacred bath) in Sinhastha is performed at Kushavarta, Trimbakeshwar. A ceremony was performed and Kushavarta was given Tirtharaj dignity.
Shri Nivruttinath was the elder brother of Saint Shri Dnyaneshwar.Shri Gahininath one amongst the 9 Nath Gurus , accepted him as his adherent. Shri Saint Dnyaneshwar had accepted him as his Guru. Hence, additionally thought to be founding father of Varkari Sampradaya. On his suggestion Saint Dnyaneshwar had written a writing on Bhagvad gita in Prakrut referred to as “Dnyaneshwari” so it may be understood by common peoples. He had taken sanjivan Samadhi at the age of twenty four years at Trimbakeshwar. Lakhs of Varkaris gathered at Trimbakeshwar on the occasion of yatra which is held on saint Nivruttinath punyatithi
The temple is located between three hills namely Brahmagiri, Nilagiri and Kalagiri. The temple has 3 lingams (an iconic form of shiv) representing Shiv, Vishnu and Brahma. The temple tank is termed Amritavarshini, that measured twenty eight m (92 ft) bu thirty m (98 ft). There are 3 different bodies of water, namely, Bilvatheertha, Viswananthirtha and Mukundathirtha.
AlLSO READ: ABOUT SHRI KASHI VISHWANATH TEMPLE
- Address: Shrimant Peshwe Path, Trimbak, Maharashtra 422212
- Altitude: 3000 feet above sea level.
- Best time to visit: October to March
- Affiliation: Hinduism
- District: Nashik
- Deity: Shiva
- Festivals: Mahashivratri
- Dress Code: There is no particular compulsory dress code to be followed. But, if you want to perform Abhishek then you should wear Dhoti.
Pooja Timings of Trimbakeshwar Temple
- Special Pooja – 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM
- Madhyan Pooja – 1:00 PM to 1:30 PM
- Golden Crown of Shiva – 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM
Interesting Facts About The Temple
- The birthplace of Lord Hanuman – Anjaneri mountain – is 7km from Trimbakeshwar.
- The temple is designed in the Hemadpanthi architectural style, known to be the architectural style during the 13th century in Maharashtra.
- The current temple was built by Peshwa Balaji Baji Rao, also known as Nana Saheb, during his office rein in July 1740 to June 1761. Peshwa means Prime Minister, and he was the Prime Minister of the Maratha Empire in India.
- The unique aspect of Trimbakeshwar Shiva Temple is the three-faced lingam embodying Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu, and Lord Rudra. They are covered by a jeweled crown, placed over the Gold Mask of Tridev. The crown dates back to the era of Pandavas and also consists of diamonds, emeralds, many precious stones.
- The crown is only displayed on Mondays from 4-5 pm.
- But because of the excessive use of water, this lingam has started to erode. Many believe that this symbolizes the eroding nature of human society.
How to reach Trimbakeshwar?
The closest field is Gandhinagar field in Nashik. it’s thirty one kilometer away Trimbakeshwar and is also well-connected to Mumbai. From Nashik field, you’ll be able to rent a cab to Trimbakeshwar.
Trimbakeshwar doesn’t have a terminus, and therefore the nearest railroad terminal is at Nashik. This railroad terminal is forty one kilometer from Trimbakeshwar. Buses & cabs are simply obtainable from Nashik railroad terminal to Trimbakeshwar.
The Maharashtra State Transport Corporation (MSRTC) has introduced buses from Nashik to Trimbakeshwar. These buses are easily available every half- an -hour. Private deluxe buses & cabs are also available.
Where to Stay
For the convenience of the devotees visiting Trimbakeshwar, Sanshtan has made a lodging named Shivaprasad Bhaktanivas. It consists of 2 dormitory halls of fourteen beds every, Eight rooms with beds and T.V. set, Six rooms with double beds while not T.V. sets, 2 Rooms with four beds, One area with three beds and T.V. set, 2 Rooms with half dozen beds and T.V. sets (a/c), One area with bed (a/c and T.V. set), Three V.I.P. rooms with double bed, room is on the bottom floor.
ShivPrasad Bhakt Nivas Details – (Guest House)
Mr.R.P.Joshi (Manager )
Shivprassad Guest House
Note: We don’t make any guarantees if the above-stated facts are not correct. If you think any information provided by us is wrong then contact us.