Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple is one of the most famous Hindu temples dedicated to Lord Shiva.
It’s situated in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India. The Temple stands on the western bank of the holy watercourse Ganga, and is one in every of the twelve Jyotirlingas, the holiest of Shiva Temples
Varanasi is the oldest surviving city of the world and the cultural capital of India.
Within the heart of this city there stands the ancient Kashi Vishwanath Temple which is also an enshrined Jyotirlinga of Shiva aka Vishwanath here .
Here millions across India come to seek benediction and spiritual peace by the darshan of Mahadev which confers liberation from the bondages of Moh and Maya and the inexorable sufferings of the world.
ALSO READ: 10 BEST TOURIST PLACES IN INDIA
A simple glimpse of the Jyotirlinga is a soul-cleansing experience that transforms life and puts it on the path of knowledge and bhakti.
Vishweshwara Jyotirlinga contains a very special and distinctive significance within the religious history of India. Tradition has it that the deserves attained by the darshan of different jyotirlinga scattered in various parts of India accrue to devotee by a single visit to Kashi Vishwanath Temple.
Atop the temple is a golden flag with a golden Trident (Trishul) which is considered as an inseparable weapon of Shiva.
The main temple is located on the left bank of the holy river Ganga is surrounded by narrow and small claustrophobic lanes.
The temple also houses a well which is known as Gyanvapi or the wisdom well. It is beleived that drinking the well water helps you attain wisdom. The well still stands between the temple and the mosque.
Gyanvavpi well has quite an interesting past to it. It is believed when the temple was raided by Aurangzeb’s army the then head priest jumped with the shiv linga inside the well to safeguard it.
|Mangala Aarti||3:00 AM to 4:00 AM|
|Bhog Aarti||11:15 AM to 12:20 PM|
|Sandhya Aarti||7:00 PM to 8:15 PM|
|Shringar Aarti||9:00 PM to 10:15 PM|
|Shayan Aarti||10:30 PM to 11:00 PM|
Important Note: From 4 AM to 11 AM and 12:30PM to 7 PM the temple remains open for general Darshan (Free darshan) and for the above mentioned Aarti you have to purchase the passes from the official temple website.
Address: Lahori Tola, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221001
Function: Hindu Temple
Deity: Vishwanath (Shiva)
Festivals: Maha Shivaratri
Things You Can Carry: Garlands, lota(vessel to carry water) , milk , flowers , बिलीपत्र.
Things not allowed inside the temple: Cell phones ,camera, match box , camphor, incent sticks, bags or any electronic devices are not allowed inside the temple premises due to security reasons.
Locker Facility: You can opt to drop your belongings in lockers which are offered by the shops around the temple and it usually cost 50 INR.
READ IT: ABOUT KEDARNATH TEMPLE
- Kashi was originally derived from the Sanskritic language word ‘Kas’ which suggests ‘to sparkle’. With varied attacks and plunders over the centuries, the city’s resilience is far appreciable!
- The Kashi Vishwanath Temple has 3 domes coated of gold! The golden chatra on prime is believed to fulfil any would like that’s created once seeing it.
- The main shiv temple is surrounded by small temples for Kaalbhairav, Dhandapani, Avimukteshwara, Vishnu, Vinayaka, Sanishwara, Virupaksha and Virupaksh Gauri in the complex.
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple has been destroyed and remodeled time and once more by totally different rulers. the first Vishwanath temple was destroyed by the military of Qutb-ud-din Aibak once he defeated Raja of Kannauj. The temple was re-built, then destroyed and re-built; this method continuing for many centuries.
- Mughals destroyed the temple time and again . Though the Mughal Emperor Akbar gave permission to create the first temple, his grandchild Aurangazeb later destroyed the temple and engineered a mosque there. This temple was reconstructed by Ahilya Bai Holkar, the Queen of Indore.
How To Reach?
Lal Bahadur Shastri Airport in Babatpur is the nearest airport (25 km from temple) which is well connected with Indian metros cities such as Delhi and Mumbai.
Varanasi has a number of railway stations which connects to whole India. The nearest railway stations are Varanasi city station which lies only 2 kilometres away from the temple and Varanasi junction which is around 6 kilometres away
Where To Stay
GANGA DARSHAN is a guest house maintained by the Temple Trust.It is the leading urban guest house in the historic center of Varanasi. You can easily get a clean & hygienic room at just 1700 INR .
Ongoing Re-development Plan
Note: We don’t make any guarantees if the above-stated facts are not correct. If you think any information provided by us is wrong then contact us.