Baba Baidyanath Dham is a hindu temple and also one of the twelve Jyotirlingas, the most sacred abodes of Shiva. It is located in Deoghar in the Santhal Parganas division of the state of Jharkhand, India.
Baidyanath temple also houses idols of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Parvati. Prayers begin at 4 am and first the head priest worships with shodashopachar (sixteen services).
ALSO READ: TOP 8 FACTS ABOUT BHANGARH FORT
Then, devotees are allowed to worship the Lord. Legend has it that this is the place where the king of Lanka, Ravana, sacrificed his 10 heads one by one to Lord Shiva. Seeing this, the Lord descended on earth and well Ravana’s injuries. Thus, Shiva is termed ‘vaidhya’ that means doctor or expert. whereas there ar many such legends related to this sacred land, history too proves its importance.
A mention of the temple will be found from eighth century AD, throughout the rule of the last king of the Gupta family, Adityasena Gupta. throughout the Mughal amount, Raja Man Singh, the ruler of Amber,
The temple faces the east and is a plain stone structure with a pyramidal tower, which is 72 ft high. Atop it are three compactly set gold vessels, along with a punchshula (five knives in a trident shape). There is also an eight-petaled lotus called Chandrakanta Mani.
- Address: Shankar Rd, Shivganga Muhalla, Deoghar, Jharkhand 814112
- Affiliation: Hindu
- District: Deoghar
- Deity: Baba Baidhyanath (Shiva)
- Dress Code: Not Specified
- Entry Fees: INR 10 (Sarkari Pooja)
- Temple Timings: 4 AM TO 3:30 PM , 6:30 PM TO 8:30 PM
|Puja (Shodashopachar)||4:00 PM – 3:30 PM|
|Shringar Puja||6:00 PM|
- Some legends say that the lingam of Lord Shiva here laid abandoned after Ravana’s death and it was found and deified again by a hunter named Baiju.
- Devotees come here to pour Gangajal to soothe Lord Shiva’s throat, which he injured while drinking poison after the Samudra Manthan episode of Indian mythology. Gangajal, milk and panchamrit abhishekam appeases the Lord and keeps him content.
- A visit to this holy temple has many great rewards for the pilgrims. One who offers worship here and gains Lord Shiva’s special favor, can gain material and spiritual happiness and be free from all fears and problems.
- According to some legends Ravana had 10 heads all of which he had cut off in order to prove his devotion to Lord Shiva. Shiva was quite impressed and gave him back his heads again. Thus he is referred to as Baidyanath, or the king of healers.
ALSO READ: ABOUT BRIHADEESHWARA TEMPLE
How To Reach ?
Nearest airport to Baba Baidyanath temple is Birsa Munda Airport which is located in Ranchi which is about 280 km from the temple.
Deoghar is connected to the rest of India via railways . Nearest railhead is Jasidih railhead, which is about 7 km from temple.
Regular bus services are available from Deoghar. They operate on a daily basis, through a well-connected roadways network from places like Patna, Ranchi etc. Taxis are also a good option.
Where To Stay?
Inside the Baba Baidyanath temple complex there is Uma Bhavan which has rooms and dormitory with all facilities. Though bookings are not easy to get.
Address: Temple Complex, Tower Chowk, B Deoghar Ho, Deoghar-Jharkhand – 814112, Near Deoghar Market
Note: We don’t make any guarantees if the above-stated facts are not correct. If you think any information provided by us is wrong then contact us.