Brihadeeshwara Temple (Peruvudaiyar Kovil) is a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva located in Thanjavur in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is also known as Periya Kovil.
The temple was constructed by Rajaraja Chola and was dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple was built 1000 years ago on the basis of Dravidian architecture,the temple turned 1000 years old in 2010
Brihadeeshwara Temple was based on the Chola style architecture which included multifaceted columns and square capital signals. Many religious events were conducted here which included daily rituals done by the king.
ALSO READ: ABOUT KEDARNATH TEMPLE
It is one of the largest temples in India and is an example of Dravidian architecture during the Chola period. The temple is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site known as the “Great Living Chola Temples”, with the other two being the Brihadeeswarar Temple, Gangaikonda Cholapuram and Airavatesvara temple.
The centre of the temple has the statue of Nandi Bull. There are two halls in the temple also called mandapas. One of the hall is pillared while other is the assembly hall. Apart from these, there are many more shrines.The primary deity worshipped here is Lord Shiva whose image is established on the inner sanctum. There is also a Shiva Linga inside. There is one more chamber called Karuvarai or womb chamber in which only priests can enter.
How To Reach?
Thanjavur is well-connected to many cities of Tamil Nadu by road. National highways that pass through the city are NH 67, NH 45C, and NH 226. One can also opt for buses which rum from all the major cities.
The nearest major rail-head is Thanjavur(2.6 Km) and Trichy. One can take a taxi or auto from there to temple
The nearest airport is at Trichy, about 59 km from Thanjavur. The airport is well connected by flights to Indian as well international cities
ALSO READ: ABOUT MEHANDIPUR BALAJI TEMPLE
- Address: Brihadeeshwara Temple, Membalam Rd, Balaganapathy Nagar, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu 613007
- Height: 66 m
- Opened: 1010
- Architectural style: Dravidian architecture
- Photography: Allowed all over the place except of course the sanctum sanctorum
- Dress Code: No dress code(Decent clothes are advised though)
- Entry Fees: NIL
- Temple Timings: 6.00 a.m. – 12.30 Noon, 4.00 p.m. – 8.30 p.m.
|Kala Sandhi or Morning Pooja||8:30 A.M.|
|Utchi Kalam or the mid-noon Pooja||12:00 P.M.|
|Sayaratchai or evening Pooja||5:30 P.M.|
|Artha Jamam or night Pooja||8:30 P.M.|
- Brihadeeshwara Temple has been regarded as UNESCO World Heritage Site known as the “Great Living Chola Temples”
- The original name of the deity was Rajarajeshwar. It was the Marathas who gave it the name Brihadeeshwara or the Great Ishwara.
- The main temple is entirely built of granite. More than 130,000 tons of granite is said to have been used to build it.
- The statue of Nandi at the entrance of the temple is carved out of a single stone.
- The main Vimanam, which is at about 200 feet is often called Dakshin Meru or Southern Meru.
- The big Tanjore temple is said to have more than hundred underground passages that connects to various other places. Nowadays, most of the passages are sealed.
Where To Stay?
HOTEL TAMILNADU (THANJAVUR): This Tourism Department of Tamil Nadu is the nearest accommodation to the temple(about 1.1 km) with reasonable prices.
Address :Gandhiji Road, Near Railway Station, Thanjavur – 613001
Note: We don’t make any guarantees if the above-stated facts are not correct. If you think any information provided by us is wrong then contact us.