Sri Bhramaramba Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple, in Srisailam, is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva also one of the 18 Maha Sakti Peeths located in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh, India. The temple is based on the banks of the Krishna River and devotees in large numbers take holy dip here after visiting the temple. The main deity of this temple is Lord Mallikarjuna Swamy. The deity is said to be self manifested. Within the temple campus, another main deity is the Goddess Bhramaramba Devi.
According to pre-historic studies the habitational history of Srisailam goes back to about 30,000-40,000 years. Stone tools of that period are abundantly found at various places of Srisailam. The epigraphical evidences reveal that the history of Srisailam begins with the Satavahanas who were the first empire builder in South India and also the earliest rulers of Andhradesa.
According to legend, once Lord Brahma, who is the God of creation and Lord Vishnu, who is the god of Harmony had a debate over the superiority of their powers. Hence, to sort this, Lord Shiva decided to test them both. Lord Shiva pierced all the three worlds with limitless pillars of light, which can be known as jyotirlinga.
After this, Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma were asked to search the end of the light pillars; each has to find the end of the light at a given direction, either upward or downwards. After their failed attempts to search the end, Lord Vishnu accepted his inability to do so while Lord Brahma lied saying he has found the end. To this, Lord Shiva proclaimed that Lord Vishnu will be worshipped by devotees through all the yugas while Lord Brahma would be not remembered the same way.
Another Legend says Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple, Lord Shiva had appeared as Shivalingam at three places, one of which is Srisailam, while the other two places are Kaleshwaram and Bhimeswaram/Draksharamam.This Temple was visited by Lord Ram and Sita in Tretha Yuga and was also visited by Pandavas in Dwapar Yuga.
The architecture of the ancient Sri Bhramaramba Mallikarjuna Temple is very beautiful and intricate. The temple has fort like walls, towers and a rich endowment of sculptural work. The huge temple is built in the Dravidian style with lofty towers and sprawling courtyards and is considered to be one of the finest specimens of Vijayanagar architecture. Temple of Tripurantakam, Siddavatam, Alampura and Umamaheswaram located in the vicinity of Mallikarjuna Jyotirlina are considered to be the four gateways to Sri Sailam
- Address: Srisailam, Andhra Pradesh 528101
- Deity: Mallikarjuna (Shiva); Bhramaramba (Parvati)
- Temple Timings: 4:30 am – 3:30 pm , 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Photography: Not allowed inside temple. Mobiles too are not allowed inside
- Dress Code: For ordinary visit where you are having general darshan, you can wear pant and shirt (for gents only) and “Indian” dress for ladies (like saree or salwar kameez). For any special darshan/puja/events, generally pant and shirt is not allowed
- Entry Fees: Nil (for general darshan)
- Altitude :274 m
- Festivals: Maha Shivaratri, Navratri
- Best Time To Visit: October to February
|Mangalavadyams||4.30 AM to 5.00 AM|
|Suprabhatam||5.00 AM to 5.15 AM|
|Pratahkalapuja, Gopuja and Maha Mangala Harathi||5.15 AM to 6.30 AM|
|Darshanam, Abhishekam and Archanas by the devotees||6.30 AM to 1.00 PM|
|Alankara Darshanam||1.00 PM to 3.30 PM|
|Mangalavadyams||4.30 PM to 4.50 PM|
|Pradoshakalapuja||4.50 PM to 5.20 PM|
|Susandhyam and Maha Mangala Harathi.||5.20 PM to 6.00 PM|
|Rajopachara puja (Parakulu) to Bhramaramba Devi.||5.50 PM to 6.20 PM|
|Darshanam, Abhishekam and Archanas.||6.20 PM to 9.00 PM|
|Dharma Darshanam.||9.00 PM to 10.00 PM|
|Ekantha Seva.||9.30 PM to 10.00 PM|
|Closure of the temple.||10.00 PM|
Aarti and Darshan Charges
|Name of the Darshanams||Time||Amount|
|Suprabhatha Darshanam||5.00 AM||300 (couple or single)|
|Mahamangala Harathi||5.50 AM||200 (single)|
|Athiseegra Darshanam||6.30 AM to 1.00 PM|
6.30 PM to 9.00 PM
|100 (couple or single)|
|Special Queue Line Darshanam||6.30 AM to 1.00 PM|
6.30 PM to 9.00 PM
|Free Darshanam||6.30 AM to 3.30 PM &|
6.30 PM to 10.00 PM
|Mahamangala Harathi||5.00 PM||200 (single)|
|Quick Darshanam||6.30 AM to 1.00 PM|
6.30 AM to 9.00 PM
CHECK ALSO: ABOUT KEDARNATH TEMPLE
- Sri Bhramaramba Mallikarjuna Temple is special in that it is both a jyotirlinga and a Shakti Peetha (special shrine to Shakti Devi – there are 18 of them) – there are only three such temples in India.
- It is believed that Lord Shiva appeared as Arjuna on Amavasya (No moon day) and Goddess Parvati as Mallika on Poornima (full moon day), and hence the name Mallikarjuna.
- Sri Bhramaramba Mallikarjuna temple is a work of architecture with its tall towers and beautiful carvings. It is also enclosed within tall walls that fortify it.
- Devotees believe that visiting this temple brings them wealth and fame.
- It is believed that Goddess Parvati fought the demon Mahishasura by transforming herself into a bee. Devotees believe they can still hear a bee buzzing through a hole in the Bhramaramba temple!
How To Reach?
The closest Airport to Srisailam is located at Hyderabad at distance of about 232 kms from Srisailam. Hyderabad is air connected to Vishakapatnam, Bangalore, Chennai, Bhubaneswar, Kolkata, Mumbai and Delhi. Taxi cars and call taxis are available at the airport.
Nearest railhead to Srisailam is the Markapur Road, in the Guntur-Hubli metre gauge rail route. The major broad-gauge railway station nearby is at Hyderabad at a distance of 232 kms. Taxi cars and call taxis are available at the railway station.
There are many options for Srisailam travel by road. Srisailam is well connected by Devasthanam buses and State owned APSRTC buses, which charge really nominal price for the journey.
Where To Stay?
The Temple Trust has taken all measures for the pilgrim’s comfortable stay on the Srisailam. Visitors are offered different kinds of accommodation ranging from Normal rooms to A.C Suits in various guest houses on the hill.
It is one of the biggest and the cheapest accommodation you can find. The check-in and check-out time for online booking of accommodation is 8.00 AM. Bookings can be done through www.srisailamonline.com.
Note: We don’t make any guarantees if the above-stated facts are not correct. If you think any information provided by us is wrong then contact us.